Friday, August 2, 2013

Traditional Family

Traditional family. What does that phrase bring to mind when you hear it? To me it means a mom and a dad with two kids living in the suburbs. Let's not forget the white picket fence. Of course mom stays at home while dad works. Some people see this as a step backward for feminism and mothers everywhere. Is it really though?
I don't think there's anything wrong with traditional family. It bothers me that people trash moms who wants to be stay-at-home moms. There's actually a Family Guy episode (of all things) that makes a really good point about traditional family. Lois (the mom) is having an argument with another woman who is a self-professed feminist. The woman criticizes Lois as being "hostile towards someone who's fighting so a woman like you can become more than a housewife." Lois answers that "feminism is about choice" and that she chooses to be a wife and mother. This is such a valid argument to me. Isn't that what feminism should be about? I choose to be a mother. I choose to not get married. I choose to stay at home. I have actually considered being a stay-at-home mom. I think it would be really rewarding and a job in its own right.
What about nontraditional family though? Well this could really encompass anything couldn't it? A single parent family, a lesbian couple, etc. It shouldn't matter how many moms there are, who stays home, who goes to work. The list could go on and on. I think any type of family is valid as long as the children are happy and healthy and loved.

I grew up in a very strange family environment. My mom and dad are divorced but still get along. My mom and stepmom get along amazingly. My half sister calls my mom Aunt Lisa and my grandma Ms. Irene. This isn't a traditional family by any means. And yet we are happy. We love each other and that's what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment