Sunday, August 4, 2013

Men Caring for Children

How many of you know a father who taken an active role in helping to raise his kids? I don't mean teaching morals and that type of stuff but actually giving a helping hand in the everyday stuff like taking them to school, getting them dressed, and changing diapers? I'll confess I don't really know any.
While my father will cook, he leaves the raising of the children to my stepmom. Oh sure I'll help out when I can but she does the majority of the bathing, dressing, feeding, etc. While we were living in Italy, my dad actually stayed home with my little sister. He was miserable. To him, staying at home with the kids is a woman's job. Maybe my dad is a special case but this is what I grew up with so this is what I know.
One blog that I've been following for awhile is actually a daddy blog called Ask Your Dad Blog. While this guy doesn't stay home with the kids I feel like he's a great example of what a dad should be like. He helps out with the kids and isn't afraid to write about his emotions for the world to see. He obviously loves his kids and would do anything for them. He also had a viral post called "Dear Hypothetically Gay Son" in which he professed that he would still love his son even if he was gay. Now why can't all men (and women) be like that?

I think that if raising kids was shown in a more favorable light, men would be more willing to help out with it. I know many stay-at-home moms in my neighborhood but no dad who stay at home. I think there is a stigma attached to men raising kids. It's not a manly job supposedly. So, men leave it to women.

No comments:

Post a Comment